In Tamil Nadu, the city Pulicat is located in the district of Tiruvallur. It is situated almost 60kms north of Chennai city particularly on the seaward side of Sri Harikota island blockade that segregates Pulicat Lake from the Bay of Bengal. A narrow water lagoon Pulicat Lake is integrated to the Pulicat city and also got its name from it.The city Pulicat has a rich history behind it. In the earlier period of 1609, the Dutch settlers had constructed a fort. In fact this Pulicat city turned out to be their main dwelling ground. Numerous invaders took possession of Pulicat city, the last being the British rulers. Britons had occupied Pulicat in 1825, thus becoming an integral part of Madras Presidency. Due to passage of so many long years much of the treasures of Pulicat had gone in to oblivion. Still aura has remained, to a large extent, by the ancient lighthouse that was erected just opposite to the Pulicat Lake.
Pulicat is also thronged with beautiful birds especially near the water banks of Pulicat Lake. Almost every year between the months of October and March, myriads of wandering birds take shelter. Although varies bird species are seen, the flamingos are significant, thronging the swamplands adjacent to the lake.
To attract the tourists from nearby region and also from abroad, the traveling system of Pulicat city has been improved over the years. To reach Pulicat, one needs to travel almost 54kms from Koyambedu (CMBT). Then he needs to follow 100 feet long road stretching from Koyambedu. After going straight to “Ennore Port Trust” one enters Minjur, after taking a right turn, one needs to cross then turn first left follows the road, at a stretch of almost 17kms. After one reaches “Ponneri- Pulicat” central road, from where a right turn is needed to take and continue driving for 4kms till one reaches the “Pulicat Jetty”.
As far as other Industries are concerned, a Cottage Craft with gentle Palmary Leaves by Women, particularly those of Muslim Communities, mainly established at Pulicat. The local Palmyra Leaf Co-operative Society exports service and beautiful articles made from Palmyra leaves. Pulicat is also rich in seafood export center including white and Tiger prawns, jellyfish, finfish and live lagoon etc.
With a legacy of 600 years, Pulicat, also known as Pazhaverkaddu, is situated 55 km north of Chennai. Pulicat was a major settlement of the Dutch on the Coromandel coast. They had built a fort called “Geldira” here in 1609 to trade with the East Indies. The Dutch and the British waged several wars over Pulicat and finally, the British captured it in 1825. The place is renowned for the eco-tourist spot of Pulicat Lake.
The Buckingham Canal, lighthouse, villages on the seaside, fisher folk, bullock carts and ferry boats forms the back drop to Pulicat. The Dutch and the British is believed to have berthed their ships at Karinmanal village, which is a historical site nearby. The highly guarded Sri Harikota Island located here houses India’s space center. Jamilabad is a nearby village totally dedicated to boat building and Senjiamman Nagar is a tribal hamlet. Church of Our Lady of Glory, and the Dutch cemetery protected by the Archaeological Survey of India, which has beautifully carved tombstones and mausoleums are the other interests.
Fancy and utility articles, made out of palm leaves by women, are a specialty of Pulicat. Sea food export is another major activity. The nearest airport and railhead are at Chennai. Pulicat is well connected by road to Chennai.
How to Reach:
Nearest Railway Station Ponneri and Frequent Local Train Services available from Chennai Central Railway Staion.
Frequent Bus Services available from Chennai and near by towns.