Department of Agriculture
Tiruvallur District belongs to North Eastern Agro Climatic zone. Paddy is the major principal crop in Tiruvallur District and Farmers are doing Paddy cultivation in three seasons viz., Sornavari, Samba and Navarai with good ground water potential. Greengram and Black gram are the major pulse crop in this District. Green gram is cultivating mainly in Minjur, Sholavaram, Ponneri , Ellapuram and Tiruvallur blocks and Black gram is growing in Kadambathur, Tiruthani, Pallipat and RKpet blocks during Rabi season. Tiruthani, Tiruvalangadu, RKPet and Pallipat blocks are the main source of Sugarcane cane crop cultivation.
The average normal rainfall of Tiruvallur District is 1152.8 mm. The net cultivated area in the total geographical area is 89383.39 ha. The normal area under cultivation is 1,23,721 ha.
The Government policy and objectives have been to ensure stability in agricultural production and to increase the agricultural production in a sustainable manner to meet the food requirement of growing population and also to meet the raw material needs of agro based industries, thereby providing employment opportunities to the rural population. Based on that the following schemes are implementing in Tiruvallur District for the benefit of farming community.
1. Food Grain Mission
2. Revamped Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana(PMFBY)
3. Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
4. Supplementary water management activities(SWMA)
5. Collective Farming
6. Integrated Farming System (IFS)
7. Tamil Nadu Mission on Dry Land Development
8. National Agricutltural Development Programme
9. National Food Security Mission
10. Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme (PMKISAN)