Tamil Nadu Rural Roads Improvement Scheme (TNRRIS)
Tamil Nadu Government introduced an omnibus Scheme called the Tamil Nadu Rural Roads Improvement Scheme (TNRRIS) during 2015-16 which provided scope for multi-component funding for various categories of road through a single window and continued the same during 2016-17 also. The Government intends to continue this approach, which provides flexibility in the selection of roads to the District and Block level agencies, through the implementation of Tamil Nadu Rural Roads Improvement Scheme (TNRRIS) – 2017-18.
Components of TNRRIS
Tamil Nadu Rural Roads Improvement Scheme (TNRRIS) will be implemented in three streams.
- Under Stream-I
- Up gradation of the Non-BT roads of BT standards.Earthen, Gravel and WBM roads of the Panchayat Unions and Village Panchayat should be taken up for upgradation as Black Topped roads.
- Under Stream-II
- Strengthening of Existing damaged BT roads with a Pavement Condition Index (PCI) value of 2 and below only should be selected. Damaged BT roads, requiring one or more layers of WBM+BT alone should be proposed under this scheme.
- Under Stream-III
- Maintenance of Existing damaged BT roads which require renewal. Damaged BT Roads, which required periodic Maintenance/Renewal, should be selected. Worn out BT roads, requiring pothole filling/patch work and relaying of BT surface alone should be proposed under this scheme.
Prioritisation and selection of works
- Roads connecting unconnected habitations, irrespective of the population, are given first priority.
- Next priority is given for upgrading and strengthening of bus-plying and minibus-plying roads.
- Important link roads connecting market places Educational/Health Service and roads leading to other utility services.
- Roads constructed under PMGSY which have completed 10 years shall be taken up under strengthening category and which have completed 5 years routine maintenance shall be taken up for renewal.
Details of TNRRIS 2015-16 & 2016-17
Under TNRRIS 2015-16. 82 road works are taken up at an estimate cost of Rs. 2655.21 Lakhs for the length of 136.252 Kms. All 82 works are completed.
Under TNRRIS 2016-17, 69 road works are taken up at an estimate cost of Rs. 2703.00 Lakhs for the length of 121.547 Kms. All 69 works are completed.
Under TNRRIS 2017-18 Administrative Sanction accorded on 09.01.2018 for 50 works at an estimate cost of Rs. 2478.53 Lakhs for 106.01 Km length. Tender has been opened on 02.02.2018, now tender scrutiny under progress.